Friday, October 22, 2010

Ghana Talk

Walking around the streets of our neighbourhood in Labadi most people like to greet us.

“Hello”, “Good afternoon, how are you? I’m fine”, “Where are you going?”, “white lady/man”, “give me one cedi” are some of things we hear.

Kids chase us for several yards calling out “obruni obruni obruni”. They also walk with us for a few meters (or for as long as we let them) holding our hands and, if given the chance, they hug us. The adulation is a little disconcerting at first and you wonder why they treat us so. Is it what they see on TV? My supervisor’s explanation sounded a little obscure: Jesus is depicted as a white man and so, by virtue of skin colour, all white (and relatively white) people are blessed.

The men are also somewhat friendlier than back home. “I love you” shouts a stonemason I pass every morning. I wave politely and shout back a “thank you”. My reserved Western upbringing somehow prevents me from returning his affections. The following week, he accepts my daily walk past his shop as a positive sign and our relationship moves up a level, “marry me”, he shouts. Again, I wave politely but this time reply, “no thank you”. My objection made no difference; since his proposal, his morning greetings have been “My wife, how are you?”

Abena

No comments:

Post a Comment